August 21, 2012

Calm before Desparados Storm

 I went to meet Deparados Storm in Sedalia last week.  He was a nice looking horse, a former stallion and former western pleasure show horse.  He'd been with his current owner for about 6 years.  The owner told me about his past and that he was pretty unhappy being a show horse.  We groomed him and then she mounted up bareback.  She walked and trotted him with a little try at canter.  We then got the saddle on him so I could test ride him.

He seemed very sweet and calm in the stable and while being tacked and groomed.  He was interested and curious about me.  When I mounted it was obvious that he was a little nervous so I walked him to this open area in a circle.



We circled the driveway area of the property, when we approached an overhanging tree Storm started and then raced off towards the barn. Only one door was open and I was afraid I would be scraped off. We made it into the barn with all its junk and pieces lying about in the aisle. Storm stopped quickly and turned left and I flew into the side of the stall door. There was a tree stump, some bricks, other machinery....thank goodness no circular saw! I hit the stall door hard and scraped my back along the bolt. Not sure what I landed on but the aisle way was hard even though it was dirt.

I got up and limped over to a staircase to sit down as the owner was running into the stable to get Storm and she came by me to ask how I was.  I couldn't answer, I didn't know what just happened.  She said she thought that after he spooked the dog went after his heels.  Note to self and others

ALWAYS DEMAND TO RIDE IN THE SAFEST AREA AND WITHOUT OTHER ANIMALS OR CHILDREN AROUND.

I was shaken up and dizzy.  She asked if I wanted to get back him and have her lead me around on him.  I said no thanks, she understood.  Sometimes it's not the best thing to get right back on the horse after a fall.  She even hugged me as the tears fell because I was so upset.  She also said, "why do we women always cry after a fall!".  She was very sympathetic but surprised at Storm.  I felt bad for in that sense since he seemed like a great horse but with the Egyptian blood perhaps he's another sensitive horse that I should steer clear of.

No comments: